This blog post contains affiliate links. Learn more here. What this means is I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.
I can’t describe just how much I love these peppers. Just thinking about them makes my mouth water. The subtle heat of the wax pepper combined with the taste and texture of the stuffing, is simply out of this world.
I’m not the only one that feels this way about these peppers. My family goes crazy for them! Whenever we have a family gathering, I am requested to make these peppers, each and every time. I never seem to make enough, as they always get gobbled up pretty quickly. The nice thing about this recipe is that it can easily be doubled or tripled. I usually stuff about 25 peppers (which is 50 halves) every time I make it.
On occasion, when I make a large batch, I have more of the mix left over than peppers. This is usually because the store didn’t have very large peppers in stock when I was shopping. In any case, I simply grease a ramekin or two and fill with the remaining stuffing mix, and bake along with the stuffed peppers. Grab your favorite pita chips or baby toasts, because it makes a pretty good dip.
Feel free to use hot Italian sausage if you like to turn the heat up. I have found that the peppers I buy depend on the batch they come from, some times they have a lot of heat and other times not so much. I use the hot sausage so that I’m sure to get at least a little heat. Of course, you can go with mild sausage if you are afraid of it being too hot. It’s completely up to you.
Pecorino Romano is my grated cheese of choice, however, any grated Parmesan will work well. I have never tried this recipe using panko breadcrumbs, but assume it would be just fine. Some times, you just need to use what you have on hand and improvise a little.
If you have any leftovers, cover them tightly and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Honestly, they may hold longer, it’s just never happened in my house.
Don’t forget to tell me what you think after you try them!
Stuffed Hungarian Hot PeppersPin Recipe
- 1/3 cup Italian sausage 3 patties or links, no casing
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 6 whole Hungarian wax peppers
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- course ground pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp pecorino romano cheese grated
- 1/3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and dry peppers. Cut the core and stem off. Cut the peppers in half LENGTHWISE. Run a spoon through the middle of the peppers, removing any seeds.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in skillet. Crumble and brown the sausage.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, sausage, garlic salt, romano cheese, oregano, basil, oil and remaining olive oil.
- Stuff the peppers with the mixture.
- Place peppers on cookie sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until stuffing is browned and bubbly.